So, I am going to have to skip right over Thanksgiving because I have no pictures!!! I know that seems impossible as I have my camera with me at almost all times (which I did that day too) but I just never took a shot. The three of us spent the day with Nate's parents and his youngest sister, Emily, and her husband and daughter. It was intimate and quiet (only because we are used to LARGE family gatherings) but for the first time in the history of having a family meal at Nate's parents...we all fit around one table! Also, this was the first time in the last few years we didn't do the Turkey Trot. I probably should reinstall that tradition, at least for myself, next year because I fell a lot better about indulging.
The Saturday after Thanksgiving we joined my sister and her family, a lot of her husband's family and some of our good friends on a train ride through Hood River replicating The Polar Express. For those who are not familiar with The Polar Express, it is a Christmas movie that is basically about children coming to the crossroads of asking themselves if they believe in Santa. (Of course we celebrate Jesus' Birthday first and foremost. Josiah is well aware of the true meaning and at this point he thinks Santa helps Jesus make sure everyone gets gifts. The wise men gave gifts to Jesus to show them his love and we give gifts to show our love. Thought I'd interject this before I got raised eyebrows from some but that's a whole different Blog post.) Anyways, the whole journey takes place on a train when the children are taken on a ride to the North Pole to have that question answered for them. At the end of this movie Santa gives each child a bell to ring. If they hear it ring, they still believe. Hence, "I believe"! This train ride was 1 1/2 hours long and the story was read and hot chocolate was served. There was even a visit from Santa on the train and handed out bells to all the children.
We plan on making this a yearly tradition with the same group. What a great way to transition from Thanksgiving into Christmas.
2 weeks ago













No comments:
Post a Comment